If you’re a homeowner, chances are you’ve had to deal with cracks, potholes, and other types of damage to your driveway. While it may be tempting to simply patch up these issues as they arise, there may come a time when you need to consider resurfacing your driveway. But when is the right time to take on this major project? Here are a few tips to help you decide:
- Determine the extent of the damage. If your driveway is only dealing with a few small cracks or potholes, resurfacing may not be necessary. However, if the damage is more widespread or if the surface of your driveway is rough and uneven, it may be time to consider resurfacing. Some damage signs include:
- Large cracks: If you have cracks that are more than a half-inch wide or deep, they may be too large to be repaired, and resurfacing may be necessary.
- Potholes: Potholes are large holes in your driveway that can be dangerous to drive over and can cause damage to your car. If you have multiple potholes, resurfacing may be the best option.
- Uneven surface: If your driveway is no longer smooth and has an uneven surface, it may be time to consider resurfacing.
- Raveling: If the surface of your driveway is starting to break down and small bits of the material are coming loose, this is known as raveling and may indicate that it’s time to resurface.
- Shallow cracks: If you have a lot of small cracks that are less than a half-inch wide or deep, it may be possible to repair them and avoid resurfacing. However, if you have a large number of shallow cracks, it may be a sign that the underlying structure of your driveway is failing, and resurfacing is necessary.
- Consider the age of your driveway. Asphalt driveways typically last around 20-25 years, while concrete driveways can last up to 50 years. If your driveway is approaching or has surpassed these age milestones, it may be time to resurface to help extend its lifespan.
- Asphalt driveways: As mentioned in the previous paragraph, asphalt driveways typically last around 20-25 years in Madison. However, the actual lifespan of your driveway will depend on factors such as the quality of the material used, the thickness of the asphalt, and how well the driveway was installed. If your asphalt driveway is approaching or has surpassed the 20-25 year mark, it may be time to consider resurfacing.
- Concrete driveways: Concrete driveways can last up to 50 years in Madison, depending on the quality of the material used and how well the driveway was installed. If your concrete driveway is approaching or has surpassed this age milestone, it may be time to resurface to help extend its lifespan.
- Other factors: In addition to the age of your driveway, there are other factors that can affect its lifespan. For example, if your driveway is subjected to heavy traffic or is located in an area with extreme weather conditions, it may wear out more quickly and need to be resurfaced sooner. On the other hand, if your driveway is in a sheltered area and is not subjected to heavy traffic, it may last longer. It’s important to consider all of these factors when deciding whether or not to resurface your driveway.
- Think about your budget. Resurfacing a driveway can be a significant investment, so it’s important to consider your budget before making a decision. If you’re able to afford it and the damage to your driveway is extensive, it may be worth it to resurface. On the other hand, if you’re on a tight budget and the damage is minor, it may be more cost-effective to simply repair the issues as they arise.
Why Hallman Asphalt for Driveway Resurfacing
Hallman Asphalt is a trusted and experienced company serving the Madison, Wisconsin area. We have a team of skilled professionals who are knowledgeable in all aspects of driveway repair and resurfacing. We use only the highest quality materials and equipment to ensure that your driveway is repaired or resurfaced to the highest standard. In addition, we are committed to providing excellent customer service and ensuring that our clients are completely satisfied with the work we do. Whether you need minor repairs or a complete resurfacing, you can trust Hallman Asphalt to get the job done right.
At Hallman Asphalt, we understand that deciding whether or not to resurface your driveway is a big decision. That’s why we offer free estimates and consultations to help you make the best choice for your home and budget. Contact us today to learn more!
-What Is The Best Time to Resurface Your Asphalt Driveway
“Hallman Asphalt & Sealing LLC did a great job on our parking lots. I received many favorable comments from people in our building about the great quality of the sealcoating. The striping is crisp and straight. They gave us a detailed schedule up front and completed everything on time. Even with a rain day to deal with. I would HIGHLY recommend them.”
“The four men did a great job on my driveway. Thank you.”
“Thank you for the great service – The Clinic and house look great”
“Thank you so much for the excellent job…”
-East Bay Condos
“Your crew did a great job! They were very courteous & professional. Both driveways look great!”
-Rich & Nancy
“Good Morning Gavin, I’ve been meaning to write you to let you know how well the driveway modifications you made at … are doing. I want you to know they are working out fantastic! Despite all these immense violent heavy rainstorms that we’ve been having, we have had NO pooling of water in front of my parent’s front door.
I mean none, absolutely no pooling of water. It is all channeling down the drainage ditch you redesigned. You guys did an awesome job designing the modifications to re-channel the water away from their front door and we couldn’t be happier with the results. My parents and I are thrilled with the job. I hope this message brings a smile and some sunshine into your busy hot and humid days!”
-Terry & Susan C
“I want to thank you for your quality workmanship and timely completion. I have received several compliments on the job…”
“Hallman… did an excellent job on the seal coating. Good company, and I will recommend it to anyone.”